First Edition 2007-2008
Paulo Mendes da Rocha
Born in Vitoria (Brazil) in 1928, he graduated in architecture in 1954 from Mackenzie University, São Paulo. In 1957 won a national competition for the Paulistano Athletic Club, a work which brought him public recognition, winning the Presidential Award at the 6th Bienal of São Paulo in 1961. Among his most widely known works are the Brazil’s Pavilion at Expo ‘70 in Osaka and the Brazilian Sculpture Museum, the Forma Furniture Showroom, the design of Patriarch Plaza in São Paulo. He has taught for many years at the University of São Paulo and has lectured extensively throughout South America and Europe. He received numerous awards, among which the Pritzker Prize 2006.